Tuesday, September 04, 2007

The Third Year

The last year of law school is proving to be challenging but on the easy side. It's not that there's not a lot of work to do. I guess it's just that my brain is trained to read a lot, work hard and just get through it. As a TA, I get to almost re-live the process I went through. I remember being totally clueless about what an outline was, and what an exam would be like. We had pretty good help back then, but no matter what people said, I just didn't get it until I actually took an exam. Practice exams were not that helpful to me because I didn't take them seriously enough. Thank God it only took me one semester to get it and do better. When you know better, you do better. Yes?

My daugter has done pretty well her first week back in school. I'm going to surprise her with a visit either this week or next. She's already gotten into trouble for talking to much one time. She got it honest, so as long as her grades are straight A's, I'll try to be lenient about extra punishment for her talking. She is really excited about learning so I'm going to give her some extra challenges at home.



I also want to start some kind of letter recognition with my son. He's good with saying letters and numbers, but I need to see if he recognizes them visually. I'll find something on the Internet to help me with teaching a 3-year-old. He actually teaches himself some things--mainly how to disassemble and re-assemble toys and anything else he gets his hands on. He is also interesting when it comes to his limitations. He's quick to ask for (or demand) help when he can't do something. My daughter one the other hand used to get mad when she couldn't do something and would practically insist on doing things herself.

My son is very social and makes friends easily. He assumes that the kids on the playground are not only his friends, but will do whatever he says. My daughter, on the other hand, is more reluctant. She says she doesn't think it's polite to just butt in and make new friends. In fact, one time this summer at the playground, she insisted that my little son introduce her, and 8-year-old, to the kids he'd been playing with for about 10 minutes. I don't know what he said, but he finally led her over to the other kids and she edged her way into the play group. It was a hoot to watch.

I don't know how this will all work once I start working, but I really enjoy spending time with my chillun'. I wish I could duplicate myself and have the at home mommy me and the working me. That is the solution! I'll look for a cloning clinic on the Internet after I find the material for teaching a 3-year-old how to read.

1 comment:

KM said...

Hey sis. Re. materials for 3-yr-olds, I grew up in a World Book Encyclopedia and Encyclopedia Britannica house, and it really did me good being in a literacies-supporting environment. World Book's stuff for preschool, early childhood, history, and science is particularly solid. And yeah, I know the sets are still comparatively expensive, but y'know what? They last forever and it beats paying up the same cost every semester for private school! At least with books like those you know exactly what your children are being fed and you can, if you choose, spend the time reading through with them... Again, I'd consider myself evidence, but it is just my experience! :-) Best wishes with your 3rd year!