Monday, August 22, 2005

And They're Off

I am at the law school anticipating my very first law school class. Technically, we had a session in Legal Analysis, Research and Writing on Friday, but it was during orientation and was more like an introduction to the class. The professor seems to be very good, and I love his speaking style.

One of the the things I like about an academic environment is that everyone is so sincere in their quest for knowledge and understanding. The level or intensity of the commitment varies due to people's age, maturity or other variables, but in general, everyone wants to learn, everyone wants to "get it."

My undergraduate experience at the University of Texas at Austin taught me to navigate a large system and not be too intimidated by large crowds, aloof professors, and loads of information. I think I'm experiencing a healty level of intimidation, but more so, I am awed by the legal profession and am very grateful that I have this opportunity to be initiated into this amazing area of study.

It's not that I don't have experience working with lawyers. I just worked for one who is a graduate of this school. In my career, I worked with many Texas judges as a communications director at the Texas Center for the Judiciary. I also worked with the legal departments at the Texas Council on Family Violence and Catholic Charities in Houston. However, in the past, I was a regular citizen, a civilian who could take things lightly. Someone in orientation told us that she believes the chemical make-up of our brains actually changes after going through the rigors of the study of law. We will see.

No comments: