Friday, November 04, 2005

People

One of my first college type experiences was when I went to the "Honors Colloquium" at UT while I was still in high school. I think this was UT's way of getting some of the top students in the state together to recruit as many as possible to UT. I had done pretty well on the PSAT and was targeted by a bunch of schools, but no school recruited me like UT did.

Well at the honors colloquium, we had plenty of time in the schedule to socialize, and at one point a bunch of students ended up in a small room, I think it was a dorm room in Jester and it was pretty crowded. I was talking to the person next to me and paused to let them get a word in when I realized that everyone in the room was talking at one time. No one was really listening at all.

My best friend and I have a saying, "I talk a lot because I have something to say." I contrast this saying with the grandma wit, "Ever wonder why God gave you two ears and one mouth?" As much as I like to talk, I'm trying to learn to listen more. I find that my classmates have pretty neat stories of their own to tell. Before my first year is over, I want to find the student who seems to be the most different than I am and get them to tell me their story.

No comments: