Monday, February 27, 2006

Diversity

I don't know why I was afraid to mention the most poignant thing about the San Antonio trip. I guess I forgot that this is my own blog and not the official one for Texas Wesleyan. In any event, the thing that struck me most in San Antonio was the diversity. I don't want to discourage anyone from coming to Texas Wesleyan's law school, but it is not the most diverse school in Texas. I haven't been here long enough to figure out why, but there are only two black full time students in my entering class. We are both female. The official word would probably be something like, "There are just not enough qualified 'minority' candidates." But I never buy that argument.

This is the very reason this blog is so important to me. It's not that I don't like white people. (Some of my best friends, etc. . .) It's just that the world is made up of a whole heck of a lot of different folk than white folk. You wouldn't really know that from sitting in any of my classes.

You know all those jokes about there being too many lawyers? Well, there are not enough black, brown or Asian (etc.) lawyers. Don't believe the hype. Take the LSAT, apply to all the schools you want to go to. You will get in somewhere, maybe even at Texas Wesleyan if this is your school of choice.

And for my white sisters and brothers, don't believe the Hopwood hype about "minority" students taking your spot. If a person really wants to go to law school, he or she will get in somewhere eventually.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Renea,

it's been a long time since I last posted. I bookmarked your law blog so that I can track your progress and experiences through law school. I am grateful for your blog and gaining insight into your experiences.

A little about me- I am a wife, stay-at-home mom of 3 and recent graduate of Indiana Wesleyan University. It has been my dream (for years) to go to law school. Recently my family and I moved to Houston, Texas. Now that I've completed my degree, I'm trying to decide what's next. I'm looking into the Univ. of Houston Law Center, but can't decide whether or not to apply.

My four year old is the youngest of my three children and will be in school full time next year. If I were admitted to law school, I would be able to attend full time, but I am afraid of how it would affect my home life- you know, just everyday things that take up so much time like housework and laundry...kids extracurricular activities...helping w/ homework...how do you manage? When do you find time to study?

Adrienne

Renea said...

Hi Meeko,

As you may know from my diary at the Wesleyan site and my blog, I have tremendous family support which allows me to spend a lot of time in the library. However, sometimes I study at home when the children are asleep or otherwise occupied. I never really worried about finding the time to do everything. It just happens naturally. When I was single, I never imagined having time for children. You have a tremendous store of energy and ingenuity that won't manifest until you're put in a certain situation.

Just know you can do it, and the results are well worth the sacrifice. My six year old daughter loves talking about mommy being in law school. It's teaching her an even greater respect for education and hard work.

Many parents like Texas Wesleyan because it offers a part time day and evening program. The flexibility can't be beat when you have a family. However, if you can go full time day, go for it! ~Renea

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I am John, 35 years old from Laredo, Tx. I want to apply to law school and am thinking about TWU. I am from an area where 95% of the population is Mexican American and I do worry about going to a school where I will feel rejected.

Thanks for your "blawg", it is helpful for me to read.

Renea said...

Hi John, I've never felt rejected at Texas Wesleyan. It's just that when I visited St. Mary's, I was impressed with the diversity, and I enjoyed being around brown, black, AND white students. The variety added flavor and spice that I don't get at Texas Wesleyan. However, I have never felt rejected.