Friday, December 30, 2005

Selah

In the middle of this vacation, I find myself completely alone, but by no means lonely. The break has been long enough for me to feel that the intense pressure of law school is a surreal, unreal, and strange existence.

As difficult as it was, I enjoyed the exams because they were extremely challenging. From what I've heard, the bar exam is crazy-hard, so I'm glad the law school is preparing me for such a hard test. It would be a disservice for my professors to make things easy for me and leave me ill-prepared for the bar. That's not the only reason I'm glad law school is so rigorous. I also know that in real law practice, a lawyer is faced with some really difficult situations. In a law office, the fact pattern morphs into someone's real life. You can't just be amused by a professors creativity and try to determine the best answer when someone is sitting in front of you with jacked up life situations expecting you to provide the solutions.

My plan for the Spring semester is to come up with a way to synthesize the information way before finals. If I can come up with a way to get an understanding earlier, the pressure of finals won't be so taxing. (Yeah, right.) Anyway, I guess I should wait to see what my grades look like before I determine how to tackle my classes. I may already have a pretty good strategy. We shall see.

1 comment:

Renea said...

Hi Kathy,

To prepare for the LSAT, I would recommend taking a weekend course. I used a company called Powerscore, website: www.powerscore.com.

You are not ridiculous for thinking about law school no matter how old you are. (From what I've seen so far, you can be too young for law school, but not too old. You know what I mean?)

Age is just a number that hopefully speaks to the wisdom you've acquired over the years. My mentor started law school when she was about 45. She's been practicing for 5 years and she was a CPA before law school. Of course, one of her specialties is tax law. I don't know how old our oldest student is, but I know he's older than 51. When I see him walking down the hallways, it gives me inspiration to press on.

Go for it Kathy! You'll love it. It will be one of the hardest things you've ever done, but you'll absolutely love it! ~Renea