Monday, September 05, 2005

Labor Day

For the past week, I've been able to get in a lot of library time. My father had open heart surgery in Dallas and my mom is there with him. He is recovering well, but we don't know when he'll be back home. My sister came to stay in the house with me and my children. She has three daughters. A set of twins, 15 and a 17-year-old. They're great girls. My sister and my neices love my children, so I have to stand in line to get some time in with them. To add to that, my sister-in-law came to get the kids on Saturday, and they've actually been with her all weekend. So, that's why I've been able to get a lot of library time in!

Family support is probably the most important aspect of surviving law school when you have children. When I was married, I was very committed to being available to my children. I was an at-home mom much of the time, and I loved the experience. But even as an at-home mom, I was always active with my pursuits. I wrote a novel, had a cookie business and maintained my graphic design and consulting business all the while. I still was able to spend a lot of time with my daughter because I controlled my own schedule, and she could be with me in all those activities.

Now, the difference is that I am actually away from them most of the day during the week. I pick one day a week to have off, and that is when I spend uninterrupted time with them. Even though no one in my family can take my place, their presence and support has been priceless.

Today, I'm studying at home because the library is not open. Right now I'm working on my Torts reading and briefing assignments.

I'm really encouraged by the emails I get from people who read this and my diary on the official Texas Wesleay Law (www.law.txwes.edu) web site. As much as I'm encouraging to you, you are encouraging to me! Thanks.

No comments: